Assistant Terminal Manager
The Assistant Terminal Manager & Head of Rail Operations role is responsible for the safe, timely, and cost-effective performance of the terminal and its operating area, providing support to the Terminal Manager and providing leadership to facilitate functions relating to product movement in and out of the terminal.
The Assistant Terminal Manager & Head of Rail Operations will provide leadership and direction to a team of employees, ensuring all customer service requirements are achieved in full compliance with company policies and procedures. In collaboration with the Terminal Manager and the executive leadership team, the Assistant Terminal Manager & Head of Rail Operations will ensure strong alignment of all terminal activities with the overall company vision, strategy and culture to continuously improve customer service, employee engagement and profitability within the framework of health, safety, security and environmental (HSSE) requirements.
The role will be based at the terminal located in Ashcroft, BC and will report to the Terminal Manager and Chief Operating Officer.
Daily Operations and Execution
- Optimize productivity by ensuring on-time performance, facilitating operations and staff performance to consistently meet operating targets and customer requirements.
- Establish work schedules and ensure that they are correctly implemented and that jobs are assigned and completed effectively.
- Monitor & challenge the performance of each warehouse and rail activity through Key Performance Indicators.
- Update management as necessary on project progress and analyses of latest industry-related technological change.
- Manage the budget for the rail switching and servicing of customers.
- Track all rail car moves and develop best practices for tracking.
- Support new developments for ATL expansion including new construction activities and growth of equipment fleet.
- Support in developing a blueprint for equipment, facilities and infrastructure engineering and manpower capabilities required for ATL to achieve long-term objectives.
- Support construction and expansion of terminal facilities and ensure timely completion in accordance with project timelines and quality of works by contractors.
- Procure and recommend equipment to operate the above-mentioned rail service by ATL.
- Work with and support the Terminal manager and the executive leadership team to implement AT’s railroad communication strategy.
- Support the development and economic justification for major investment activities in relation to civil infrastructure and equipment requirements.
- Determine rail and yard planning, IT needs for effective yard and rail management and records.
- Develop the terminal team to manage the switching and rail yard needs safely and efficiently at the terminal.
- Build the business case for ATL to manage all site switching and customer rail service needs within the terminal.
Support Terminal Management
- Support management of equipment, facilities, and infrastructure engineering activities of Ashcroft Terminal (ATL), including setting the direction and strategies for equipment, facilities, and infrastructure engineering services to ensure service levels meet operational requirements and are aligned to operational targets and future directions.
- Support the Commercial team as needed in the development of the operational details to deliver new services for shippers, Terminal users, and the development and execution of the Rail Strategy.
- Support team members and be the focal point for coordinating and developing key HSSE (Health, Safety, Security and Environment) processes and mindset.
- Support the needs as a demand manager, procure/provide equipment engineering services that are of agreed quality for ATL, and manage contractor standards through a system of monitoring against performance metrics. Engage contractors regularly to ensure their compliance with ATL regulations and requirements.
- Work closely with HR on staffing strategies and ensure achievement of common vision and shared objectives.
- Support all terminal management and adapt to changes according to the development of activities at ATL.
- Support, develop and lead as necessary regular site communication sessions to review safety initiatives, site performance and other local initiatives.
- Develop and cultivate good working relationships with key customers to promote excellent service and customer satisfaction.
- Support and manage operations for new business and various projects as directed by the ATL executive team.
- Oversee the development and deployment of team members and successors within the department.
- Support team to develop processes to manage and share knowledge, information and best practices in inland port equipment and infrastructure.
- Oversee monthly rail inspections, maintenance, and rail yard planning.
- Accountable for inputs and outputs of safety, service, productivity, and financial metrics.
- Review all operational processes to refine, optimize, and simplify them to allow the team to execute efficiently within the safety guidelines.
- Liaise with the railroads to ensure service for customer needs.
- Ensure full understanding of customer business requirements and service commitments.
- Acting as a backup in the Terminal Manager’s absence.
Experience And Qualifications
- Must be able and willing to relocate to Ashcroft, BC.
- Education in a relevant field; Supply Chain/Logistics a bonus.
- Must have a minimum of 3-5 years of managerial experience.
- Must have a minimum of 3-5 years of experience in the Rail, Transportation, Supply Chain/Logistics industry experience an asset.
- Strong customer service and administration experience demonstrate a service-oriented attitude and process-oriented under all situations.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, demonstrate ability in dealing with conflict situations.
- Leadership, coaching and teamwork: demonstrates initiative and enthusiasm; proven staff management and team-building skills;
- Able to work well under pressure.
- Advanced computer skills; proficient with MS-Outlook, Excel, and Word.